HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have two rheem units. The one upstairs was serviced two

Customer Question
I have two rheem units...
I have two rheem units. The one for the upstairs was serviced two days ago, but the downstairs unit was working fine. Now the downstairs unit hasn't worked since the upstairs unit's service appointment. Thermostat (Emerson Sensi) is working fine, but not even the fan will come on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
10/31/2015
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Can you get to the board in the downstairs unit and check the fuse on the board to see if it is blown? That is the most likely issue causing this problem. There should be a slot fuse on the board. Check that and let me know what you find.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Since this applies to both the heating and AC (neither will come on), would the blown fuse most likely be in the outdoor or indoor unit? All of this is a good bit over my head. I've never done much work on HVAC.

The fuse would be on the inside unit, can you get at the board inside the furnace?

Yep you missed it:) it is the purple fuse in the left upper corner of the board

I saw the purple slot fuse, but it didn't appear to be blown. No sign of damage to it, discoloration, etc. I expected it to look similar to a blown bulb if it were damaged. The system upstairs is still functioning and I only have the one furnace.

OK have you double checked the breaker as you have nothing there is the switch off to the unit or breaker tripped?

Yup, reset the breaker and the switch by the furnace.

Ok there is no power there or you need to check with a volt meter. You can try to jumper connect the R terminal to the W thermostat terminals together with a paper clip to see if it starts up, if not power issue to the unit or low voltage transformer is bad.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH