HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a lennox merit series furnace (12 years old) and the

Customer Question
fan will not run in...
I have a lennox merit series furnace (12 years old) and the fan will not run in on position or auto, and furnace will not run. It all ran well with AC this past summer. I cleaned the flame sensor yesterday before trying the furnace. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
10/31/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Will anything at all work right now? AC or anything?And what type thermostat do you have ,digital or mechanical?

No. I think it's a mechanical thermostat. I came with the unit and the house 12.5 years ago.

Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.

I do have a harbor freight tester. And I would be willing to try any types of testing or inspecting

Your furnace has a control board located in the blower compartment that will help us in troubleshooting. Look and see if there is a little window to look through on bottom panel and see what light is doing. Here is a chart.I will guide you from here.

No light in window, I checked already
Are you still there. There is no light red or green?

OK if no light is on at all we are not getting power to the furnace control board. Lets remove that panel and check power coming in.

OK, panel is removed

Are you fAMILIAR WITH A TRANSFORMER , WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE?

Not real sure, but I'm willing to learn:)

OH here is the transformer. It will have 2 wires coming in to LINE and two wires leaving from LOAD.

We want to verify 120v into line and 24v out of load

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/b367p36/Lennox-Furnace-Transformer/17W56/2345689?modelNumber=G40UH-36A-070-5&ss=a36b367d1238076&mr=1

Keep in mind door switch will need to be held ot taped in to get power to furnace

Going to try phone, it's easier than running up and down the stairs.

Thanks for letting me work wit you.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified

Fuse blown. Thanks for the help!!! A+++++

If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician