airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Last winter, the fuse on the 208\24 v transformer kept

Customer Question

Last winter, the fuse on the 208\24 v transformer kept blowing. I narrowed it down to the defrost cycle, not going into defrost but returning to normal operation. So I ran on emerg.heat for the duration of the winter ( a month). I failed to get this looked at by a pro, however this fall, I have used the defrost operation several times and it is working fine. the defrost coil ohms good. Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is strange that it was tripping and now is not. Usually when one starts tripping it will continue until the short is found and corrected.Most of the time these issues are caused by either a failing defrost board or a low voltage wire up against a hot gas line allowing the sheathing to get hot and wire inside short against tubing.Take a close look at all the wires in the low voltage circuit in outdoor unit and make sure none are against copper lines.Other than that about all we can do is see if it fails again and troubleshoot at that time.