airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a 12 year old Trane 5 ton A/C-heat pump. Last month I

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Trane 5 ton A/C-heat pump. Last month I had to have the variable speed fan replaced at a cost of nearly $1200. Now, the contactors are burnt, another fan motor needs to be replaced, and the electrical whip is corroded and needs to be replaced. In addition the insulation around the ducts in the attic has deteriorated and needs to be replaced. All of this is going to cost well over $1000. It did not need any freon and the compressor is drawing 19.6 amps and is rated at 28.8 amps.
Question should I go for the repairs or just replace the unit? If I go for the repairs, how much time would this likely buy me?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

My personal opinion is to replace the unit. Life expectancy of the heat pump is 12 o 15 years. Though not leaking refrigerant now, very possible could have in near future.Also new equipment twill be more efficient and probably save enough to pay for itself within a few years.

The possibility of getting more than 15 years out of the system is less likely than probable.