How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 21756
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The gas valve in my vhe4 water boiler is leaking when it

Customer Question

The gas valve in my vhe4 water boiler is leaking when it shuts off. I can't find one on line and it is a 36c84 type 258 is there a substatute
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

I'm not sure what device you're talking about since it's counter intuitive that tapping the gas valve would stop it from leaking by. Are the burners staying on longer than they should then go out when you rap the valve?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Or is the valve you're talking about leaking water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flame goes out when it quite calling for heat but then I can still hear gas going to the combustion chamber.If I tap the gas valve you can hear it quite leaking
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just wanted to be sure we're on the same page. The numbers you gave me don't help. Do you know what series VHE you have? Can you give me a picture of the valve?
You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What type of ignition system? HSI (hot surface ignitor)? intermittent pilot (electronic ignition)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a camera but the gas valve part number is ***** and is type258
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it's a white rodgers? has a plug in mercury flame sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this control config is trouble. If that flame sensor quits it's big money if you can get one when you need it. If this was up to me I'd get rid of it and retrofit this with a more modern generic valve and pilot assembly. But if you don't want to do that you can order a replacement at any plumbing supply house that sells Weil or here online