HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Billy I have an A/C Compressor question. My fan is running

Customer Question

Hi Billy I have an A/C Compressor question. My fan is running but the compressor is not. after cutting power I am hearing a buzzing coming from what looks like a switch right next to the capacitor.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Can you take a picture of the switch that is buzzing and upload it here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After a bit more research I know now it's the contactor that is buzzing. Strangely even with the power to the unit cut and the capacitor disconnected. I also noticed the contactor is stuck in the contacted position. My other unit when off the contactor is released.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

AHHHHH yes the contactor is fried, I can see the burned up contact on the contactor. You need to replace that to get the unit working again. Here is a link to one.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you may I do hope that is all. I don't want to have to replace a 4 Ton unit right now
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

That should be it for sure, these contactors just do not last like they used to:(