Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Trane XR13 outdoor unit coupled with a

Customer Question

I have a Trane XR13 outdoor unit coupled with a 4TXCB031BC3HCAA indoor coil.
One half, and only one half of the indoor coil is frozen solid. So if I am looking at the coil, the left side of the triangular shaped coil is frozen, while the entire right side of the triangle is clear.
The blower, circuit breakers and such are located below the coil in a separate compartment. The blower is running 24/7. Thermostat set at 72 however the indoor temperature is 85.
Do you have any opinions on the issues?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

There are only two potential causes for that, restricted refrigerant flow at the metering device at the coil, or low on refrigerant, most likely the latter.

In either case it is going to take a technician with a set of service gauges to determine which is the case and either fix the leak and restore the refrigerant charge, or clean the line strainer ahead of the metering device, or get rid of the tiny ice ball *inside the metering device that is restricting flow.

These things unfortunately are often misdiagnosed. You can eliminate a diagnoses of moisture inside the sealed system by turning the unit off, until all the ice melts for a few hours, then turning it back on, if the largest copper tube coming from the cooling coil then runs cold enough to sweat for a few minutes then it was water inside the sealed system.... if no... then you most likely have a refrigerant leak that needs to be located and repaired and refrigerant added ($350 to $650 usually).

..........

If you appreciate my input so far, and wish to continue with virtually no time limit, rate my work positively... we can go from there. The company only pays me if you rate positively, lacking that I can spend days with a customer at my own expense, without any compensation.