Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

GMPN128-5 S/N120,000BTU/HR FURNACE; it was installed in

Customer Question

GMPN128-5 S/N(###) ###-####120,000BTU/HR FURNACE;
it was installed in basement of home my daughter purchased recently, it only has return air plumbed to one side. it appears to be designed for return air from both sides. From old service information it appears that a limit switch trips in cold weather and possibly locks out after 3 times. it is installed directly on gravel floor without any visible base plate or barrier other than sheet metal housing. Should this furnace have return air from both sides? where do I get Goodman's installation specs for this furnace? are there any records as to who installed this Goodman furnace in your records?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

I am not seeing anything about this furnace requiring two returns, although it's not a bad idea based on the size. Keep in mind a furnace tripping the limit has many possible causes including too high gas pressure, undersized supplies and return ducts, a plugged A-coil (for air conditioning), a blower issue, or even just a dirty air filter. I can provide you with an installation manual if you'd like. As far as who installed, if a permit was pulled with the city in which you reside (which is what should have been done) they will have records of the installer.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the installation manual for this unit:

CLICK HERE