HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a trane model 4tyk85a1p0caa after moving it to a new

Customer Question
location last year it worked...
I have a trane model 4tyk85a1p0caa after moving it to a new location last year it worked perfectly. after about 9 months it developed a problem dripping water down the wall and freezing up. We cleaned coils and check drain it was clear. Now consistently it drips down the wall. I checked low side pressure about a month ago and it was 160psi. Today I rechecked and the low side was 50 psi and both ac lines are very cold
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
10/9/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your mini split. It sounds like it has lost charge and this most likely happened as a result of the move. The dripping water can be caused by the coil icing up and melting on the off cycle.

It worked fine for 9 months after we moved it. OK so if I understand correctly here I need to add refrigerant. How do I know when I have an adequate charge? Also in your your response you indicated you needed more information. Is that correct?
one thing that's not adding up for me is if it is low on charge why does it still blow ice cold? And why are both ac lines cold my experience is that small line would be hot and the large line cold?

Sorry, was out doing service calls all day. On these mini split systems, most of them have what's called a "critical charge". That is, you weigh in an exact amount of refrigerant. This must be done by removing what's in there, and then using a refrigerant scale, an exact charge weighed in according to the manufacturers specs. The reason both lines are cold is because the system is not doing what it's supposed to be doing due to low charge issues.

I'm going to recharge this weekend I will let you know if my problem gets resolved

OK, thanks for the update.

Did you have additional questions on this? Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

I still had not gotten around to recharging system and today unit started spitting ice balls. I once again revisited low side pressure reading and now it is 150 I had gotten that reading a couple of months back. What are your thoughts on that?

Have you zeroed out your gauges before checking?? Sure they are accurate?

they are accurate
gauge zero out the gauges are accurate

If there was a restiction, it may have broken loose. 150 PSI is about a 53 degree coil, about right for an average day. Which is why I asked about guages. However, if it is freezing up, then that indicates a problem.

What do you suggest I do next,?

Probably will need to evacuate system and purge with nitrogen, then vacuum and recharge. I would also pressure the system with nitrogen when the charge is out and see if it holds pressure to make sure you have no leaks. It doesn't make sense that the pressure was low one day and (almost) back to normal the next unless there is a restriction in the system. Also, make sure it is not an intermittent blower issue because loss of evap blower would cause low side pressure to go way down and coil to freeze.

Evaporator motor blows very strong I will check pressure again in the morning and report any changes

OK, thanks

Good morning Tim H. This morning no icing at evaporator but a small amount of water is dripping down the wall both lines at condenser cold and dripping a small amount of water room is not as cold as usual pressure reading is now 130. What are your thoughts now?
Did you get my last message?

I still think you need to do the evacuation and purge as mentioned previously, then weigh in an exact charge.

Tim H.
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional