How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask airheatman Your Own Question
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 8273
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
airheatman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am changing the thermostat to a nest. I know were all the

Customer Question

I am changing the thermostat to a nest. I know were all the wires go except the Black wire which is for BK in the Trane thermostat but nothing on the nest that says BK. Can you help or at least tell me what the BK is for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What is model on your old thermostat?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If your old thermostat is the TCONT402 or similar the BK is a special feature to control the variable speed blower in your air handler.The NEST will not offer this feature.

Although the Nest will work with some variable speed Trane units by depending on dip switches on control board of air handler, it is not compatible with others that depend on the BK terminal at thermostat.

If you choose to try the Nest, your blower will come on if compatible and be controlled by dip switches.If blower does not come on, you will know the Nest is not compatible.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

See link

Related HVAC Questions