airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My new motor will only run on auto. has different wires from

Customer Question

My new motor will only run on auto. has different wires from the original but i put the same colors in the original positions
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
white motor and white line are on one side of the capacitor. brown wire is on the other side. black and black are connected for high speed. ( I think it was originally on medium which was blue but the new motor does not have blue. I can hear the relay click when the furnace heats up but the fan will not kick on
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

what is make/model of furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rheem rgda-12ea-er
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you,

now previous motor...you had a feed from the fan center for cooling (usually black motor wire) and another feed from fan/limit control....this feed is commonly red.....do you still have the feed available not attached ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was originally taped off and not in use
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you...on old motor you should have had 3 wires hooked up....white, and then 2 colors.

What 2 colors were used..and what fed them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue was hooked up to black. white was on one side of capacitor, along with the white from the furnace . brown was on the other side of the capacitor
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Ok.....I am going to open this up for the others to see. There should have been white from old motor hooked up...and then 2 others like black and blue or black and red etc....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I can show you the plate on the motor and the wiring diagram on the furnace would you be able to tell me which connections to make?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you really just f**king bail out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got good info somewhere else, I do not expect to be charged by you. you have given me nothing in return
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you still need help with this. If so can you attach a photo of the wires coming from the junction box down to the motor?