BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Westinghouse model WIHPD3-24KW4A mini split unit

Customer Question

I have a Westinghouse model WIHPD3-24KW4A mini split unit that is showing a P2 cod
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit is fully charged no leaks and electrical service to unit. I have cut power to the unit and reinstated the power P2 code comes up right after power up. Unit was professionally installed and charged by a licensed HVAC installer. The unit has been working flawlessly for the last three months .
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

this means an overtemp condition happened at compressor outside.

This can be:

Bad/poor connections

dirty coil (outside)

plugged refrigerant circuit

low on refrigerant

Basically something is making the compressor hot. Usually the first thing to check is wiring connections and refrigerant level

Billy

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

does the outdoor fan run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outdoor fan does run until the P2 code shows
This didn't start until it went into heat mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coil is clean and no bent fins. Unit is mounted on rubber isolator pads eight inches off the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Then you may have a reverse valve issue. The unit should be under warranty if less than a year old. have you contacted the installer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The installer does not service westinghouse and Nordyne does not have a service company here. I did contact one service rep and they stated that online purchases are not covered under warranty even though the unit was purchased through sears online and Nordyne clearly states that the five year warranty is valid if installed by a Licensed HAVC person.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

so does the p2 happen whether it is heating or cooling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The P2 happened for the first time last night ambient temp 46 F and it did it then cleared and then over night it went into default P2 no operation.It has only happened in heat mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction I cleared the code by power disconnect and the restart , not sure how long it ran after I cleared it and it went into the P2 code again.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I know it may appear properly charged but that is a sign of low refrigerant..which is more evident in heat mode...are you positive about the refrigerant charge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been working in auto in the heat mode previously when the ambient temp was similiar for a few weeks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit has a low refrigerant code and it has not come on. I had the unit professionally evacuated nitrogen purge vacum with all the electronic charge indicators. Installer is bryant and has done my heat and ac in house. 2 stage units and he is competent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit monitors the leak down and pressure rate and should set a code ec if the refrigerant leaks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note when the unti was installed three months ago, the unit came pre charged . I had the lines and indoor unit purged and evacuated with the charge checked. Came pre set for a 25 foot line set and it is 21 feet in length.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have heard the reversing valve when the unit defrosts. That part used to work, condenser coils would frost and you could hear it go into reverse to defrost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no oil soaking at any of the connections indoor or outdoor, I have not soap checked the lines though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don;t have a schematic or trouble chart with wiring diagram to check any more than what I have told you. The P2 code is like a mystery code. is there a code chart with associated diagnostic tree and wiring check? I don;t think that any of the service people are going to help me since I bought it online. First thing they think is big dollars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking forward to your thoughts, I have secondary heat so that is not an issue right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Billy for your answers. Inpressed by this site.