Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

I have a Honeywell thermostat, 2 pole, 240 v, capacity of

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell thermostat, 2 pole, 240 v, capacity of 5830 watts - don't have the model #.
connected load is 3 baseboard heaters totaling 4850 watts. It is 3-4 years old. Had an occasion a while ago where the stat did not shut off and house temp. was above 90 deg.
scary situation.
is this something that can be corrected by a capacitor across the contacts, or is there a stat available that will prevent arcing/sticking of the contacts? solutions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 2 years ago.

I am not aware of a capacitor that would correct this... if the contacts stick, anything parallel would not stop current from flowing. If your watts are correct, it sounds like a true failure. I suppose one could get creative and place a second thermostat (set for a higher setting) in series with the other one. This way, if either opened, the circuit would be shut down. There are fusible links, but finding one to handle that current, placed in the right place and set to trip at the right temperature could be used, but thats a stretch. I agree your situation is scary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the effort. I guess I was hoping for a little better news. I don't know if Honeywell has specs on their products, but I don't know how to get that kind of info. The thermostat is currently working, the incident where it stuck happened a few months ago. Makes a person nervous though.
Expert:  Douglas replied 2 years ago.

Personally I would replace it if you can. If it stuck before, It may stick again.