How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask airheatman Your Own Question
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 8372
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
airheatman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to buy three and half ton trane outside unit

Customer Question

I need to buy three and half ton trane outside unit (compressor) and also want to use old freon. how much should it cost and where do I buy it. Can I buy other brands like concord or goodman? Will they provide the same cooling?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.

You will not be able to purchase a Trane R22 unit as they no longer make any R22 equipment.Federal regulations prohibit sale of equipment containing R22. Some manufactures like Goodman still make them, just ship them DRY with a nitrogen charge to get by the rule.

You can purchase for around 1000, but will also have to pay for refrigerant since they are DRY.

Here is a link to an example:

You will want to figure at least 200 to 300 more for the refrigerant.

Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.

If unit is properly installed, this unit will cool just as well as your old unit did.