HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My a/c was running fine yesterday, my husband changed the

Customer Question
filter in the unit and...
My a/c was running fine yesterday, my husband changed the filter in the unit and it stopped working. We checked a few things last night with a HVAC tech with no solution. My husband checked for current coming from the 120v and says there is no power going
to the unit. What should we do next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
9/20/2015
HVAC Technician: urelectrician, Contractor replied 2 years ago
urelectrician
urelectrician, Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the A/C unit plugged into a dedicated wall mount receptacle circuit or is the circuit shared with other connected loads?

2) If a cord & plug connected A/C unit, did you measure for voltage at the circuit breaker and at the wall receptacle?

3) What were the voltage measurements from Hot to Neutral, Hot to Ground and from Neutral to Ground at the receptacle?

This is Rheem unit with condenser outside, no plug or wall receptacle

Thanks for the replies.

1) I've never heard of an exterior condenser that has 120 volts, they are always 240 volts.

2) Did you measure for voltage at the exterior disco switch?

3) What is the model number or provide me with the nameplate rating of the A/C unit?

4) How many amps is the circuit breaker that controls the A/C unit?

No the inside unit has coil like wire connected to a box that reads 115v heater
Then there is one brown wire connected to the unit coming from a box 24v t Stat

OK, thanks for the reply.

I will opt out of the question and send it over to one of our HVAC experts and they can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me, as you will be notified once an HVAC expert picks up your question.

Thanks.............Kevin!

Ok thanks
HVAC Technician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. I suggest checking the access panel you removed to change the filter. There is usually a cover switch the tells the unit it is sealed.

There is a switch that you can move in and out and hear clicking. There are also three little lights (bulbs), one orange and the other two are green, none of which are lit. If I press the switch in, shouldn't the lights come on?

Push and hold it for a test. The cover should depress it and hold it.

Correct and it does, but still nothing

OK, that's as far as I go. You have other issues that the HVAC expert can assist with. Good luck.

ok thanks
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Hello, this is Billy.

Are you at your wits end yet?

Ready to try a couple more items?

Lol, I was earlier, problem solved. The emergency switch was off this whole time! Flipped it on and a/c running fine!

excellent...that was the first place we were going...

I am very glad you have it going....call it a weekend :)

Thanks! You guys are the best!
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech