HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My Lennox c33-30b-2f-6 is leaking water. The copper line and

Customer Question

My Lennox c33-30b-2f-6 is leaking water. The copper line and the insulated line both have sweat on them. The drain goes directly into my slab. I have seen a few threads on here that are very similar to what I have going on, but just enough difference that I feel like I should ask the professionals. What can I do on my own before spending a lot of money on a service call?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Ok is the line completely insulated or is some of the copper exposed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is one in completely insulated tube and one that is completely exposed
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

OK that all needs to be completely insulated or you will have condensation forming and dripping especially if the area they are in is warmer and humid and not dehumidified. Go to the hardware store and they sell pipe insulation by the roll. Wrap it good and it should be fine.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lines have been like this since the day they were installed. Nothing has changed. Based on my research, I am pretty sure we are dealing with something more along the line of a draining issue or a clogged condensate line. I would like to know how to check those on the model that I have.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Which line is leaking? The condensate line should be rubber off the plenum

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None of the lines are leaking, not outside of the unit anyway. But there is about a half inch of water on the floor all around this unit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lines just had some condensation on them.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

OK do you see the condensate rubber or hard plastic drain tube connected to the ductwork?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean where both lines enter the main unit? Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is the front
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is the side
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Yes disconnect the white plastic condensate line and see if it is clogged up in the port

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the front next to the red plug? That is glued and will not turn.Or is it one on the side?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Remove that RED PLUG

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Read plug is off. There is about a quarter inch opening inside
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Ok is any water coming out of there and is it plugged at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No water coming out. It goes back about three or 4 inches before it opens up into a chamber. It is wet On the back wall of the chamber and it looks like there's algae on that surface
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But this 1/4" opening is not plugged
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Can you blow it out? That one they glued in, I hate that...so you may want to cut the pipe and get a flexible piece of rubber tubing to make the coupling then you can clean out the drain pipe and blow or snake up into the condensate pan. I think you just have a algae blockage.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I used my air compressor to blow into that whole pretty good. I'm not sure if it was helping, but it did make a lot of water come out around the edges of the base of this unit
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Yes you have a blockage likely in the white PVC pipe...I would cut it right before it makes that elbow and get a couple hose clamps and a hose to make the connection back there again, that way you can clean the line in the future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I used a tight seal shop vac to clean that out. There was a little under a half cup of water that came out. But it was pretty dirty. Should there be more, or is there something else I should be looking for?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

No that should be it, try it out and see. Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This whole section is covered in condensation. I can't say if this just started or if it was pre-existing, but every side of this unit is dripping wet.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

OK peel back the Black insulation on that larger copper line is it iced?