How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BillyHvac Your Own Question
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 22514
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
BillyHvac is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a new downstairs hvac unit. One contractor recommends

Customer Question

I need a new downstairs hvac unit. One contractor recommends Trane variable speed, bumping up from our old 10 seer to a unit with 16-20 seer. Other contractor recommends Amana 14 seer single speed unit, saying variable speed units have more electronics and hence many more problems. Any comments?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.


To answer the best way possible, may I have the region you live in? This has a lot to do with pay back and savings on the higher seer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Middle Tennessee
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. This is an opinion based on service records...

Trane makes an excellent product and is one of my favorites, but the variable speed units are very finicky, especially with power issues, brownouts, spikes etc.

The 16 seer is more efficient but is also more costly to service. My opinion is what I call "safe"...14 seer straightforward unit with less of the bells and whistles. In this particular choice I would go 14 seer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks- meanwhile one last company came to look. they think my problem is moisture that they can see on the crawl space walls, as well as moisture around the foundation. Since my problem is odor and not cooling, I am inclined to agree. What type of contractor would you recommend to remedy poor yard drainage and crawl space moisture?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

This may take some research on your end based on region. There is a franchise called B-Dry, but there are many other options.

They can seal, moisture barrier etc.

Have you considered running a dehumidifier in the crawl space and laying a moisture barrier down?

Related HVAC Questions