HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My air conditioner is making a very loud sound from the

Customer Question

My air conditioner is making a very loud sound from the outside unit and it isn't cooling very well
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

If the unit is making a loud noise outside, you should shut it down. The compressor or something in the sealed system may have failed. Most often a bad loud noise outside can be a compressor failure and or fan failure, but both can damage other parts fast so shut it down for now. Also can you go out by the unit and see if it is the fan or compressor making the noise?

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know whether it's the fan or the compressor? I can go outside but how can I tell which is making the noise?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

I would shut the unit down, and you would have to disconnect the wiring to the fan motor to then start it up briefly to see which one is making the noise. You could just have a bad capacitor on the unit outside as that can make the unit loud and not cool correctly, it is just hard for me to say as I am not on site hearing what you are. If you can take a video of it upload it here so I can see it or send me a dropbox link with it,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm hoping that's it. None of the lines to the blower unit inside are frozen, so maybe I should be optimistic....
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

Yes it could be if you have a video I could maybe give you some more insite on this.