HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Installed a carrier cor wifi thermostat and when I have it

Customer Question
call for cooling, my condenser...
Installed a carrier cor wifi thermostat and when I have it call for cooling, my condenser turns on for a sec, then off, then the fan spins for 3 sec. then it stays off. When I hook up the old stat, everything works fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
9/8/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello, do you have a C wire attached in the thermostat that is also attached to C in the blower unit?

thank you, ***** ***** you take the red, green and yellow wire from R,G,Y and twist them directly together...does the outdoor unit run fine?

I have 1 75va transformer installed for both heating and cooling

And what about the red green and yellow wire twisted together?

Checking now

standing by

24v, y1 and G do not turn fan on
No condenser
Actually, it just turned on, must have a time delay

Correct, there is a 5 min time delay compressor protection.

Now do you have a heat pump?

What color wires are on what terminals?

I do have a heat pump. : R:red, Y1:yellow, Y2:Blue, O:Orange, G:Green, W1&2 are jumped together using White as the Aux heat I believe and I also had a pink "L" terminal (not used)
Common,C: black

red to rh

green to g

yellow to y/y1

white to w1/w/aux

orange to o/b

black to c

Blue to y2

Yup
I think it has something to do with the programming in the stat
I have a Bryant stat that is the same exact stat, instead of cor, it's home wise, I plugged that in, same result

Are you programming for heat pump operation?

2 stage cooling and heating
Reversing valve is used for cooling

it will need to be specifically heat pump as there is a 2 stage heat/cool which is NOT for heat pump

I can send pics of the heat pump connections and stat connection
this stat won't work with this set up?
Do I need to get another transformer for cooling?

see page 18 HERE

you do not need another transformer..I think we just are not getting to heat pump program

Condenser is off now with wires still twisted

if condenser is off with wires twisted..then there is issue not involving the thermostat. Twisting those wires direct totally bypasses any thermostat;

I agree but it ran for a while

as far as the Cor....I think we just didnt go into the menu deep enough for heat pump...I am betting it was set for 2 stage but not specifically heat pump as shown on 18 at the link I sent.

As far as the unit not running when bypassed....that is not thermostat

I twisted again and it's on
It walks you through the programming process and I answer all the questions, there aren't many. Not sure if you can go any deeper than that

did your screen actually say heat pump or just 2 stage?

I apologize but I have to go offline. I am opening your question to the others

your first screen is correct....but also look at the link I gave and it walks you through each screen

Ok
Am I waiting for someone else?
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech