BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Trane XL13 unit that stopped cooling last week. The

Customer Question

I have a Trane XL13 unit that stopped cooling last week. The technician, from a Trane Dealer that originally installed the system 10 years ago checked the capacitor and said it was fine. Later I was told that the fan had seized. As a temporary solution, he manually turned the fan blades to get the fan spinning and told us we could do the same because the AC would stop when the desired temp was reached and not restart automatically. But, GUESS WHAT? IT'S BEEN RUNNING FINE EVER SINCE!! We agreed to have the fan replaced based upon his original diagnosis which is going to cost $460 (parts and labor) but now I'm not sure the diagnosis was correct. It's a lot of money to pay if that is not the real problem. I don't want them to get stuck with the fan but neither do I want to pay for something that isn't warranted. What's your take?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

If the fan starts and runs with a manual spin, it is a capacitor...not a motor. Apparently your capacitor is weak or had a borderline connection. I would not replace the fan....I would however have a new capacitor on hand in case the existing one finally fails.

Starts with spin = bad capacitor

Does not start with spin = motor