HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Carrier Air Handler - Model FV4A (Assembly Booklet

Customer Question
325987-701) Paired with a 38YXA...
I have a Carrier Air Handler - Model FV4A (Assembly Booklet 325987-701) Paired with a 38YXA Deluxe 13 SEER Split System Heat Pump with Puron. We are experiencing High kWh usage this year! Our house is a one level-house w 1500 square feet. We are experiencing a large jump in kWh usage this year as opposed to last year. We've fixed several major air leaks to no avail! One situation was a fireplace double flue duct that had the outside pipe pulled apart when we had our flat roof fixed with a sloped roof for drainage. The roofers pulled the outside pipe apart - we had about a 5" separation in the stack. Now fixed.
Question - the air handler - to my recollection - used to run at a higher speed when it got cranked up. Could the fan run at a slower speed if someone sabotaged our air handler after we kicked them out because they claimed they couldn't do our floor-level return ducts. Stuff changed about then. Don't know what they could have done - Could they just moved a wire over to another terminal or do something else that would make the AC run slower. I got to thinking that they might have even pulled one of the 3-phase wires - That's where they hooked into the system! Left - just taped the wires up. ???????
Could the fan even run on 2 phases. I know it's a DC motor - but the question is - could somebody have disconnected part of the 220 3-phase power just for spite? We're just not getting the thru-put that we used to get. Could be it's hotter this year. Dunno. Sorry for such a long question - but we're stumped. Walt
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
9/4/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Tell me if the copper refrigerant lines were ever cut, and if because of that or for some other reason, the system was recharged with refrigerant.

If it was, it is likely that few too many ounces of refrigerant were put in the system, that allow the system to provide heating and cooling, but can increase your electric bill 30 to 50%.

That will be our best starting point... Let me know about that, we can go from there.

OK - how can I tell if the refrigerant line has been cut? Is there any evidence that I should be looking for to answer this - either positive or negative? Not sure where to look and what I should see as evidence to alert me to the possibility of that situation. I've had the condenser swaped out several years ago - I imagine the refigerant line is connected to that - I remember the tech soldering something after that fix. However, he was working out of the company that installed the unit.But since then, we've had a contract with a suspect AC company that had a very poor reputation - doing our service (found out later they had a very bad rep.). I can't imagine a tech doing that - we've never had the whole system recharged to my knowledge - on rare occasions - I had to pay for additional refrigerant. (I'm not sure it was Puron though). Let me know what I should look for and where. Thanks. Walt

Hello again, you will not be able to tell by looking, you would know by your personal observations only...

So far it sounds like someone may have mixed the wrong type of refrigerant in, or added too much refrigerant. To diagnose that you need a set of refrigeration service gauges, that is something beyond most home owner capabilities.

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city, I can look for any well rated outfits in your area and give you a short list of them.

We can go from there without a time limit.

I am not satified where this dialog is going for the resolution of the problem with my air conditioner. I see no resolution possible with this interface. I'm sorry. Please - accept my initial payment of $5. I am unsubscribing to this conversation at this point. Walt
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer