Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I sold my home and the new owners had an inspector come out

Customer Question

Hello, I sold my home and the new owners had an inspector come out and he said the low voltage wires were frayed going into the outside condensor. he HVAC was working ok. I spliced new wires and connected them color to color now the HVAC will not come on:( I forgot to cut off the HVAC prior to splicing the wires. ?Is it possible i shorted out the transformer or control board? The green LED light is not coming on like the other two outside units i have on the home:( Any advice?
Thank you;Larry
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Larry, thanks for the request!

If the ac was being called to run while you were fixing up the wires outside and the two wires providing power to the compressor contactor touched each other, then yes it's possible you either blew a low voltage fuse or possibly shorted your low voltage transformer. Both of these are located inside the indoor unit. If it's a newer model (last 15 years or so) it should have a fuse and it will be a purple 3 amp ATC fuse. These are the same fuses that automobiles use and you can find them at any auto parts store. If there was NO fuse in the indoor unit, shorting the wires would have blown the low voltage transformer in the indoor unit.

If you have the make and model number of the indoor unit, I can most likely tell you if you have a fuse or not. On rare occasions, the fuse is a yellow 5 amp fuse, usually it's a purple 3 amp fuse though.

Please reply if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively (3 stars or better) before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian