BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Troubleshooting unit that starts and runs starts to cool

Customer Question

Troubleshooting unit that starts and runs for awhile starts to cool down home and then gets too hot and shuts down.
My unit is an Amana RCB36B2A outside condenser. After it shuts down it is stressed to start back up. It attempts to start but makes a loud humming sound. If I get it restarted it will run for some time overheat and shut down again. I've cleaned the coils, replaced both capacitors and think my remaining issue is to replace the motor. Looking for confirmation before I spend any more money.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
when you say it overheats do you mean the entire unit or just the fan motor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure how to tell. If I feel the top middle of the condensor unit outside it is hot to the touch. (where the Amana logo is) There is no ice build up anywhere and when it is on it seems to run ok and starts to cool down the home.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
It is time for a new fan motor then.
Providing the following:
The caps replaced were right rating
The caps replaced were wired correctly
If those 2 items are "yes" then you have a bad fan motor.
Billy