HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

20 year old Carrier, the blower motor was just humming and

Customer Question
would not turn. I replaced...
20 year old Carrier, the blower motor was just humming and would not turn. I replaced the capacitor and it ran fine for about 20 hrs. in the Fan On mode and AC running, then just stopped and motor is just humming again when powered up. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
8/16/2015
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Sounds like your motor is bad . Possible bearings. No oilers on motor. You replaced capacitor. Motor is only thing could be now. 20 years is good service. Russ

That is what I had figured. I did have it serviced about 8 years ago and supposedly the motor and capacitor were replaced. If I replace the motor should I replace the capacitor again?

Depends on motor. The motor you buy may have a different size capacitor. If it is same size capacitor just use the one you bought. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician