HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Amana PTAC unit water drips inside on floor, when cover is

Customer Question
removed, pan is full of...
Amana PTAC unit water drips inside on floor, when cover is removed, pan is full of water, but when outside cover is removed, no water in outside portion of pan. How to get condensate to drip outside?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
8/12/2015
HVAC Technician: Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out! Do you have the model number of the unit? This sounds like the condensate line is blocked and needs to be cleared. In order to direct you to the location of the drain I will need to pull up the specs on your specific unit.

Don't have that info
unit appears to be sealed, thus seperating the inside part from the outside part
outside pan is bone dry, while inside pan has 2 inches of water
there also appears to be 'hump' between the inside portion of the pan and the outside portion

If you can vac out the water, you should be able to locate the drain hole that will let the water travel through the sealed chassis to the outer pan. If there is a hump, or the unit is not level, the water may not be unable to drain out properly.

Is the unit in a location where it can be removed from the wall to inspect the condition of the chassis?

as for removing the water, already did that once, could not see any access from one side to the other, the hump in the pan appears to be the manufacturers design

Have you confirmed the unit is level or slightly tipped away from the front of the unit? Occasionally these units will tip forward and prohibit the proper drainage of condensate water

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer