airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Trane digital thermostat is making intermittent clicking

Customer Question

Trane digital thermostat is making intermittent clicking sound and face is blank except for intermittent blinking on. Temp so far is at setting. What's going on?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Can you remove front of thermostat and get me the model number and also see if it has batteries? Could be as simple as low batteries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no batteries; TCONT401AN21MAA
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS THAT THE MODEL NUMBER?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rather not pay extra if you can help here
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
that is model. Our first step will be to using a volt meter, check to see if we have 24 volts ac between R and C terminals where wires connect.We would need a meter to troubleshoot. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this is electrical, I have coverage for inside electrical service. I don't want to purchase a meter unless absolutely necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not mechanical at all!
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
It is most likely going to be an electrical issue.May be the thermostat itself, a breaker ,or wiring problem or something electrical inside the air handler. Not sure if your coverage will take care of, but definitely worth checking .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thermostat light comes on intermittently and screen shows a few seconds...AC also comes on and it is maintaining cool with intermittent so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you advise?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Since you do not have batteries, the thermostat receives 24 volts from the indoor transformer. It sounds like either the 24 volts is not consistent (loose wire,weak transformer bleeding down under load, or thermostat itself may be going out. That is why we would need the meter is to see if the 24 volts is staying consistent , dropping out completely or dropping from 24 down to anything less than 24.
Here are basic choices you have.
1. Obtain a meter to troubleshoot
2.Call the tech in to troubleshoot.
3.Start replacing parts .(Thermostat first)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll get my son to read your advice. Can we stay connected or reconnect when I can get him to the computer here? He will better understand what you are telling me. Ok?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely. Do not rate answer until we are done. Question will remain open until you rate answer,Just sign on and go to MY QUESTIONS and we can continue when ready.