HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Trance xe80 not working

Customer Question
Trance xe80 not working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
8/5/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

http://homeappliance.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/trane/080.html

That should be the manual for your unit. I will be referring to it as we go along.

For not tell me a lot about your skill sets and if you have a multi meter or not, so that I will be able to coach you in the most efficient manner.

Meantime set the thermostat fan switch to 'Fan ON'.. that is a test of the 24volt control power, if the fan does not come on use your multi meter to check power at both the inside unit plug or disconnect switch, and at the outside unit.

We can go from there.

I do have a multimeter and I am mechanically inclined.
Fan is set to on. Thermostat clicked like it normally does. But no response from blower or outside condenser.
Are you still there?
Phil
Hello again, I am still here.
Thanks for the tests.
If you can send me a clear, well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the blower cover door on your furnace or air handler,  and a photo of the printed circuit card that shows where the thermostat wires connect I can help you by marking it up with trouble shooting instructions.
Use the paper 'attach files' link at the lower left of your dialog box for that
I also need the brand and model number of the furnace, its on a sticker that also lists the serial number inside the furnace burner compartment as a rule.
Tell me please if the outside unit runs in the winter for heating as well as in the summer for cooling or not.
We can go from there.
Will do!
Ok. The furnace and blower are in one unit and there is no model number listed on the furnace itself, but it is a Trane.
The outside unit only works during the summer. The furnace in the attic is natural gas.

Hello again, thanks for the photo's, but the wiring diagram photo's were only parts of the diagram, I need them all in one shot... and the camera held very still so it doesn't blur if you can manage it.

There is a printed circuit board in the blower compartment, you will need a different angle on it so i can see the board... it will have a lot of wires attached, and about 5 from the thermostat, a red, white, yellow, and green. Maybe one more.

We can go from there. I will be up for another hour tonight, if I miss you, I will pick your response up in the morning.

.

Are you still interested in helping me troubleshoot this problem?

Hello again, Yes I am still interested in helping you.

the wiring diagram photo's were only parts of the diagram however, I need them all in one shot... and the camera held very still so it doesn't blur if you can manage it.

Get that to me, we can go from there.

I have gotten a few notes that you want a phone call... but you payment has not gone through.

Aside from that, on this end, I have to prepare diagrams and trouble shooting diagrams for you, that does not work well on a phone call... a random discussion generally does not work well on these complex systems.

Your photo of the blower compartment did not show me a workable picture of the printed circuit card,

You will have to identify it by following the thermostat wires to it... then take a close up photo of it... this should all be done before a phone call.

.

the printed circuit card you're asking me to photograph; is it very small and maybe just a couple of inches long with 5 screw connections for the thermostat wires and only an inch or so wide?Also, a phone call at this point isn't necessary. Last night, when you wrote that you would only be available for another hour, I thought I would take advantage of that brief time to cover some more ground before you became unavailable. the urgency has since passed. I live in Tucson, Az and it's 112 here daily. My house last night was 97-degrees. I've moved my family out of the house until this problem is resolved. A/C repair is a big business out here and as such, it's not always easy to get a repair tech out in a reasonable time -- even if you are willing to pay a premium for it. I hope to troubleshoot this until the tech gets here next week, in case it's something minor.In the mean time, I'll try to take a better picture of the schematic on the blower door when I return to the house tonight.I did get out this morning and took a look at the compressor in the daylight. The only thing I found notable was that one of my animals has apparently bitten down on the thermostat wire at the compressor. It's possible the wires inside have been severed. Could that cause both the blower in the attic and the compressor outside to not work? Is there a way to check both the blower and compressor to see if it's a thermostat issue? If the stat is not the issue, what could be?
It seems like there may be no power getting to either of them.
Hello again, you have most likely found the problem with animals chewing on the thermostat wire, inspect it for breaks or bare copper....repair as needed.
Bare copper can rub on the frame of the unit and cause the fuse in the 24volt circuit to blow.
I will still be a good idea to check the voltage *between* line 1 and line to at the disconnect at the outside unit.
Let me know how all that goes, we can proceed from there.
-----------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.
If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.
Hopefully these photos are helpful. I do not have the capability to send any better of a photo of the schematic.I have checked the power sources for both the xe80 and the outside unit. The outlet the xe80 is plugged into is reading 118VAC. But the XE80 appears to have no power at all. I can't get the fan to start by bypassing it or get the red status light to illuninate at all.Outside on the wall (see pictures) my multimeter registers very little to no VAC at the 220 or 110 power sources.In the meantime, I'll work on repairing the thermostat wiring, but would the damage to the thermostat wiring cause the apparent power issues?
Hello again,
We can get way off into the tall weeds if we are not careful... it will be best to simply take the measurements I need, and we can see how it sorts out. If you want however I can take an hour or so out of trouble shooting to explain it as we go... that could run me out of time though.
If you got no power at the outside unit you have most likely located the problem. 95% chance of that.
Tell me please in gruesome detail exactly how you took that voltage read, a photo would be nice as well.
If there really is no power at the disconnect at the unit outside then the breaker marked AC or air conditioning.. a two pole breaker... is either OFF, tripped, or defective. 90% chance of that... working at the house breaker panel is very dangerous business since there is no human safety breaker at the panel to keep a person from being electrocuted... you may want to call in an electrician for that if you are real sure you do not have 230v at the disconnect by the outside unit.
Regarding the 24v, it may or may not be good, follow my earlier directions regarding inspection and repair... we will dig into that next if needed.
.
I set the multimeter to VAC and placed the probes on the vertical top and bottom of each fuse. I then reversed the probe positions (moved red from top to bottom and black the same way) to take a measurement. I then repeated the process for the metal clips holding the fuses. I couldn't make contact with any other conductive material.

Hello again, tanks for the detail.

That approach will get a no voltage read.

http://screencast.com/t/ETIYlxN8f

take the voltage reads as shown in my marked up picture at the link above.

If you get 230v across the two blue arrows, you have 230v at the outside unit, and that means its not getting 24volt control power most likely, repair any pet chewed wires, if the unit still does not run check the 3 amp automotive type fuse found in most control cards... and check between the red thermostat wire and the frame of the furnace or gas valve, you should get an 11 to 19 volt read, if you get no read, a 24v fuse is blown, or the 24v transformer is bad (90% chance of that).

..........

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

Ok. Took readings as indicated in your link: 239vAC. I'll repair the thermostat line and advise.
Also, I did try to force start the blower by touching the yellow wire and red wire together at the thermostat wiring on the wall unit in the house. There was no response.
Let me know how it goes.
If you rate my assistance so far positively I will hold the question for any extended coaching you might need. If you do not rate, I work at my own expense, when that happens I have to limit the time I spend with my customer.
I hope you understand.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer