Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have two split system just the inside unit. can i use any

Customer Question

hello i have two split system just the inside unit. can i use any condenser to make them two unit inside work. or what should i do. i want to use the two unit i already have
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

If you are asking can you use any brand condenser, the answer is yes. The condenser must be the same refrigerant type and tonnage as the inside coil, however. Is this what you are asking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats what im asking . what outside unit are you recommend. how do i check what refrigerant the inside unit are using. will hooking two unit to the condenser be ok.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

No, each unit must have it's own condenser. When you say inside units, are you talking about just a coil or an air handler with coil built in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats just an example picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think i need this
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Oh, OK, so you have a mini split. These type of systems are more critical. They must have the matching condensing unit.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did someone take the condensing units? Why only the inside unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really i have read that you can attach any condenser to it and it will work.yeah someone took the outside unit .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying unless i can find the matching outside unit those are trash
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That's not really true. Many of these units are "critical charge" by that I mean they must have an exact charge weighed in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just want you to understand im not trying to do a professional job. i just want it to work . i dont care how it will look or sound as long as it can cool the room
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry i know nothing in this field . what you mean exact charge weighed
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That charge is determined by the model of the unit. I would say it "might" be able to be done with just any condensing unit. But then the other thing is these indoor units have wires that connect and communicate with the outdoor unit. I don't know how you'd get that part to work. It's not like central air units where you can put mismatched things together.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Typically the indoor unit might have, say, 4 wires that run to the outdoor unit and "communicate" with it. That is the part you are going to have trouble with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying it will work. can i just have them both power on 24 7.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i can figure that out. basically it will work correct?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Is there a reason why you don't want to purchase the Gree matching condenser?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one more question since there is two inside unit are there any thing i need to know regarding connecting the unit to the outside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reason is i really want to make it super cold. i want to use house central air condenser is that ok you think
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

You'd need to figure out the refrigerant type and tonnage. I don't know if Gree is still in business. But they could tell you, based on the model of the indoor unit, those two things.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let's say you had a two ton, R22 system, then you'd look for a 2 ton R22 condenser.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ac will be used in high heat inviroment. nothing like a normal living standard. room are full with hid lamps 1000watts 15 of them each room
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I understand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when they say mini split system 12000btu 3 unit ... does it mean each inside unit can push 12000btu so total 36000btu
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Where are you reading that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GREE +Multi Dual-Zone Ductless Mini-Split System 30,000 BTU Inverter Heat Pump (18k, 18k Indoor)http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/hvac/air-conditioning/multizone-split-ac/multi-f-multi-zone-heat-pump-systems-119246
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey tim m i asking to many questions are you cool with it .
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are correct, 3 units each doing 12,000 BTU's is 36,000 BTU's or 3 tons total.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great. now can i use central air condenser with my inside unit haha lol m i pushing it
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I would say it's possible. You'd have to find a matching tonnage condenser and same refrigerant and the two units have to communicate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cool . do you recommend me buying a used condenser?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The problem with that is how do you know what you're getting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok got it your right. say inside unit is 12000btu each . i have 2 so total 24000 btu. and if i get a 10ton condenser can i add 6 more inside unit
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I would not recommend that. Stick with the two head system. If you need more cooling, add an additional unit. That's another thing. These two head systems have a special configuration to work off one condenser and you are going to run into problems here with trying to make this work with a conventional condenser. Your best bet would be to find the matching Gree condenser for these indoor "heads" you have. But I'm not sure if Gree is even still in business. Or you could just have 2 condensers, one for each indoor unit. Were these two heads (indoor units) originally connected to one condenser?