airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a window 7800 BTU Friedrich a/c bought new last May.

Customer Question

I have a window 7800 BTU Friedrich a/c bought new last May. Everything works on the machine except that very little cold air comes out and what does come freezes up the
machine whether the temp is set at 60 or 80 I am able to defrost the ice quickly
putting the machine on F3 but cannot cool off the room tho it does de-humidify. Two
weeks ago it worked fine and suddenly...nothing happened but very little cold air
The machine # ***** CPO8G 10. Any ideas or suggestions ???? PLEASE RESPOND
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.First step is to check the filter and the front coil behind the filter to see if either or both are dirty.THis is number one cause for icing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but I already knew that from Friedrich's manual. What I do not know, are two things:
a -Not quite sure how how to get easy access to all the coils from the front of the machine after I remove filter; and
b - How should coils be cleaned ? Dry rag ? Wet rag with some cleaning fluid or soapy water ? Vacumn ?? or ???
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
a.THere should be screw in bottom front of grille that comes out to remove front cover.See link:
http://i.imgur.com/XBYGg8p.png
b.You need to be very careful not to bend the aluminum fins on coil. If you have a soft brush sometimes you can brush clean.Also most appliance parts stores sell a spray on coil cleaner that is self rinsing as unit operates .
If coils are real dirty, I suggest removing the unit from the cleeve and taking it outdoors so coil can be washed with water hose.If you do this, just make sure to wrap plastic around motor and electrical parts so we do't get them wet while washing coil.