HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Can you help me with how to program a new blower motor mod

Customer Question
ule...
Can you help me with how to program a new blower motor mod ule
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/31/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello, Is it an X13 motor? Can you tell me how you bought it? Did you give the seller the furnace Brand and model number? Let me know about all that in detail, I might be able to guide you to a solution.
The module is a genteq HD02. It f out rd o a blower motor. From a Maytag/nordyne furnace model number PGF1ra144c20c
The module is blown. I see very similar modules on eBay. I understand that they have an Peron that needs to be programmed to match the dip switches on the control board. What I want to do is buy an appropriate module a'm d make it work.
Eprom not Peron.
There I s a tag on the module that says 3/4hp VSP ccwle.Also it says PROGRAM:XL0353 (XL0160)
Are you still there?
Hello again,A phone call will not allow me to post what I am posting below. The *furnace manufacturer* in this case Nordyne/intertherm... burns their custom program into the eprom with equipment and program that neither you or I have access to, that program is designed to operate each *particular furnace model. Then they then set the dip switches accordingly... some of the dip switch settings are for fan speed, and those settings are contained in the *furnace service manual. If you can get me the full model number of the furnace (from a tag inside the burner compartment in most cases) I can generally pull the manual. You can buy a correctly programmed blower module here:http://www.hvacpartsoutlet.com/Nordyne-Furnace-and-Air-Conditioner-Parts.aspx877(###) ###-####
I am awaiting a call
Can we go back to c h Patti n g
Chatting
We can continue chatting.Tell me if you understood my previous message regarding the furnace manufacturer burning in his own program on the eprom to suit each particular furnace. .
That I s what I'm told by the m module manufacturer
Ok I see your response now. Ok will try nordyne. I
Hello again,That is why you must buy a new module from Nordyne /intertherm or an HVAC parts distributor that sells Nordyne parts, they will make any adjustments needed to the motor to suit the *furnace model number you give them. It should not be a problem. Have you contacted these people yet?http://www.hvacpartsoutlet.com/Nordyne-Furnace-and-Air-Conditioner-Parts.aspx877(###) ###-####--------------
Yes. I read them all the numbers on the module but they couldn't find it. They told 'me to call nordyne
I called nordyne. They say they sell the module only with the motor which comes programmed from the factory. They won't talk to me.
Hello again,Nordyne nor anyone else wants any of the numbers on the module...as strange as it seems that is barking up the entirely wrong tree. The model number of the **furnace** is all that is needed, then later, possibly they will want the numbers on the module (10% chance of that). Do not call Nordyne. Instead contact these people with the **furnace** model number, its on a tag behind the burner compartment service panel. http://www.hvacpartsoutlet.com/Nordyne-Furnace-and-Air-Conditioner-Parts.aspx877(###) ###-####hese people go ONLY by the *furnace model number... they do not care about any other numbers. ----------------- It appears that Nordyne will only sell the matched set, not the module by itself... they have good reason for that as I have mentioned earlier. Please tell me very specifically if you have contacted these people or not with the **FURNACE model number** odds are high they have the module you need sitting on a shelf.... be very very careful not to give them the module numbers, they do not catalog stock that way, it will throw them into confusion and the clerk will then attempt to get rid of you by telling you to contact nordyne. Please, just use the FURNACE model number... lets see how that goes. .
Ok.
.
They couldn't help. They found the motor numb e r but not the module.
Thanks.It looks like Nordyne has obsoleted the old set up and now sells only new motor and module combinations to avoid any module/motor mis-matches. Your assumption however that the module is bad might not be accurate. You have not told me so far if the module you are speaking of is bolted to the end of the blower motor, or if you are talking about a module separate from that mounted elsewhere in the furnace. Here are some video's you can look over. Tell me either of these relates to your motor or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q5mm1Nqx9Uhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2Hu9tTqFo&list=PLj2StfnyVRlirWB69Pudnrq6jc6af29rS--------To be sure that you do not have an X13 motor, see this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFyxOigkh9c You can very often change to a 'rescue X13' motor as well, but it needs to be done professionally.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5WIxDGeugo.
I have the module in my hand. The inrush thermister and one of the phasing capacitors are blown. The unit is potted so I can't trace it and replace bad parts. What is the rescue unit.
Hello again, https://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/static/x13.ep If you can rate my input so far, I can avoid spending days on this without any pay at all, and end up with a bad service rating to boot. In that case I can afford to keep working with you..
Thanks
it is the unit on the back of the motor. The X-15 motor is not plug compatible with the furnace wiring. It seems that you are not able to get me info on programming one of the ebay modules that are available?
At the beginning of my query I wanted to be able to replace the module on my motor. That is the same condition I am in now in spite of your attempts to help. I only want to replace a $100 module, not a $1000 motor with module.
Thanks for your efforts.
Hello again,You are 100% correct, not only I, but no one else in the business other than the furnace manufacturer can get you the programming... and they will not give it to you, they will only sell you a properly programmed motor and control card in this case. The reason they will not give you the programming is that you are not likely to have the equipment needed to install the program into the chip.... and because all of the motor controls have to work together with the other controls on the furnace. You will not have that skill set, and the factory will not want its own staff attempting to make that modification either. Any mistake can result in the furnace running without its safety controls, fire or explosion can be the result.
I realize that is not the answer you were hoping for, and that it is no doubt frustrating for you...but alas that is how it is with this range of electronic controlled components. .
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer