Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a honeywell 32207501-002 Rev thermostat. Some days

Customer Question

I have a honeywell 32207501-002 Rev B thermostat. Some days the a/c will come on other days it may take hours for it to connect to the condenser (fan is working all the time) to cool the house and other times it comes on relatively quickly and operates normally. Many times I have to take it off and replace it on the wall for it to come on while at other times that does not seem to work. Its all a crapshot each time I turn on the system.
I am wondering if this is a problem with the thermostat or my a/c system somewhere.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.Is this an older mercury type thermostat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no its electrically connected to the a/c and heating system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its over 10+ years old
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
I know that, but is it an older Honeywell round mercury type thermostat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it is I do not know where the mercury may be. It worked fine all winter and on and off this summer but mostly problems in the summer.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=honeywell+mercury+type+thermostat&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Does it look similar to this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
similar to the rectangle ones.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its a honeywell 32207501-002 Rev b model
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, well that number you gave me is not an actual Honeywell model number. But in any case, yes, it does sound like the thermostat is defective.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is what I figured. Thanks.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
The fact that it's over 10 years old would indicate it's not working correctly and not under warranty anymore, unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And the number I gave is the model number on the thermostat. I am reading it right off its front panel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not worried about any warranty, I just want to isolate the issue and fix it. Guess time to get a new one.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Thermostats usually have their actual model number posted on the back of the front section.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
A thermostat consists of a front part and a back part called the subbase. You would need to separate the two and look on the back of the front section for the model number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I am trying to make it connect to the condenser so I dont want to remove it. And its on the front panel that the number is *****
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, front panel, but back part, in other words if you take the front section off the wall loose from the back or subbase, there will be the actual model number.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
But that's OK, it's not that important. It sounds like its time to replace it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I kind of figured that from the beginning.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
When you buy a new one, consider the type of system you have, heat pump or standard split AC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Do you know, is your system a heat pump?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Also, consider whether you want programmable or non programmable.