HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My unit just sends out warm air on heat. I am thinking the

Customer Question
unit has burn out. It...
My unit just sends out warm air on heat. I am thinking the unit has burn out. It put out an burning smell before it started to go bad. Is this what I may need?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/20/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
hello,
did the burning smell come from around the unit or through the duct work?
Through the duct work.
Thank you,,,this is likely a burned up motor or control board.
In this event I would call for service unless you are well versed mechanically.
Not burn motor. Air works, fan runs. As for the board, it is on the outside of the unit. If it was to burn out, it would smoke and smell on outside of the unit. That's one reason I am thinking heating unit. But will have an serviceman look into it. Thanks.
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.
It sounds like possibly one of the elements has burned if you are getting some heat just not as hot as normal.I would start by turning off power , diconnecting wires to elements and ohmimg them out.If an element is indeed burned, you can purchase a restring kit like one below and replace if you are mechanically inclined.
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/restring.html
If my answer has been courteous, polite and thorough and you are satisfied that I have done an accurate job of addressing your question, please rate answer below.Bonuses are always appreciated.Your expert is not paid for assisting you until you leave rating.
If you are not satisfied with expert's answer and would like a refund of your deposit,please let me know.Leaving a negative rating does not automatically refund your deposit, but reflects poorly on your expert although he may have done as best possible via internet.
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician