HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I'm not looking Hvac engineer scientist. Nor am I looking

Customer Question
I'm not looking for an...
I'm not looking for an Hvac engineer scientist. Nor am I looking for an over opinionated brand loyel repair tech. I'm looking for advice from a rare bread in the industry.
Advice from the perspective of an HVAC sales professional that actually knows his stuff. Someone who has a can-do hands on background. Someone that truley knows the products his selling and most importantly knows how this products are best applied regionally. One answer does not fit all situations nation wide. The best sales advisers that know their region have knowledge that some career techs and office confined engineers dont. This is the type of person I'm looking for. I have a home project in both SEATTLE and Michigan and getting sales advicers locally on both. I'm interested in what advice I can get here when I start comparing proposed solutions on these projects.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/19/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello, lets see if I qualify.I worked with the tools from 1965 to 1975 or so, and ended with two employees... Lodi California. The moved to Los Angeles and built that business up from one man (myself) to 27 men. Sold that in 1980 and began consulting nationally with projects in about 40 states... I am still at it, but now retired to online work only. age 74. I have worked on most brands on the market....and done a lot of large scale projects for petrochemical, nuclear and aerospace applications as well. My view these days is to buy the simplest, cheapest, most efficient equipment available, since the more complex systems are loaded with very expensive and somewhat fragile electronics that can double or triple the cost of ownership over the life span of the system. They tend to more failure prone than the simpler systems. If you are quite well off and do not mind the additional expense and occasional failures I will recommend brand with variable speed blowers and unloading compressors... those will hold the humidity levels a few percentage points closer that the less expensive, single speed systems will at about half the cost of ownership over 10 or 15 years. It is the quality of the installation and integrity of the contractor that is the most important. Let me know if you want to continue with me or not, we can go from there. .
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer