HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I woke up to a houde that is 62 degrees and the HVAC thermostat

Customer Question
said it was 70. Since...
I woke up to a houde that is 62 degrees and the HVAC thermostat said it was 70. Since the setting is 68 the unit was motoring all night. The hole in the wall where the wires come out of is an inside wall and I had shot foqm in the wall years ago to keep heat from inside the wall effecting the thermostat. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/19/2015
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Try raising temp to about 75 to see if the outside unit shuts down. Russ
I did. I pulled the upstairs and down stairs unit and put them on a table in a cool unlit place. I put a third temperature unit next to them . They all atr reading an average of 72. My wife told me last night the temp setting on the downstairs unit was 68 and was set at 68 and the unit had been on for several hours. So the unit did reach the set point of 68 but it just kept motoring becasue the house never got below 68 according to its internal thermometer but the house WAS getting colder. The thermostat never got below 68 even though the actual temp was WAY colder in the house
If the temp is dropping below set temp it is usually thermostat problems. You foamed for any air infiltrations but if thermostat is on outside wall and it is hot in 90s you may have a problem. Raise thermostat temp about 5 degrees above set and see if it shuts down. Russ
Thermostat is inside wall.
how do you get the thermostats to shut down when they reach set temp then? Some stats I have had in the past have a plus or minus 1 or 2 degees setting. This Homey well does not. I think I will get a more expensive model with plus or minus settings. This has happened in the past WHich was fixed with better model 'stats. This stuff that the tech from Home Depot put in when they replaced unit is probably junk.
The Home Depot stat are not very good . Get an good Honeywell and it will off set temperatures in the installer setup. Great idea replacing with a good tstat. Russ
Have a lot of questions on Home Depot and Lowes thermostats. Always trouble. Russ
Anymore questions
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician