BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Scott,looks like you know something about Amana glycol heating

Customer Question

Hi Scott,looks like you know something about Amana glycol heating systems.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My system includes water tank for hot water.Yesterday we ran out of hot water(which never happens).I checked the outdoor unit(ergw) which is gas fired,to see if it was running.It was not.Solution tank full.So i switched inside thermostat to heat and the outside unit started,after a few minutes we had hot water...but the furnace never came on.Which right now we do not need heat being 90+ deg.ac works fine.....so in short...if i need hot water i switch to heat mode on inside thermostat(honeywell chronotherm 3)for a short period and we have hot water.I get 24v at the thermostat at tank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
*furnace did come on.....
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
It was a bit confusing...are you basically saying the only way to get hot water is to turn the unit for furnace heat...then the domestic heat will work...
use reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes,no hot water unless you run heat.what its doing is heating the glycol for the furnace call from thermostat inside the house,so the heated solution just makes the loop which includes the water tank.Before this happened, something would tell the system the water in tank needs heating and outside unit would fire up the solution.there is a zone valve in the loop just past water tank and it is working..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm leaning more and more toward the thermostat on tank being bad.