HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Ryan. Allow me to preface with a little history. We bought

Customer Question
Hi, Ryan. Allow me...
Hi, Ryan. Allow me to preface with a little history. We bought our home mid-May. Since then, the condenser valve has frozen up twice due to a lack of freon (or so we're told). The unit itself is brand new. I woke up this morning and heard a very loud humming coming from the (blower?) in the cellar, with ice beginning to form on the condenser valve again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/17/2015
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! While it is true that being low on refrigerant can cause your system to ice up, and it's possible you may be low on refrigerant, it sounds like your blower is having issues and that will definitely cause a system to ice up. When a blower hums loudly like that and doesn't run, it is usually one of two things: either 1) the blower motor capacitor has failed (a $5 part) or 2) the blower motor itself has failed. There is a third possibility but it's rare, the blower relay (or some other device) is only allowing partial voltage to the blower motor. These issues require a volt/ohm meter (multimeter) to diagnose for certain. You can rule in/out the blower motor capacitor by just changing it since it's such a cheap item. You have to make sure you have a solidly working blower motor, a clean air filter and a clean evaporator coil (A-coil) before it can be determined if your system is low on refrigerant. If you have a meter and are comfortable taking readings with the power on inside the blower in the basement, I can help you diagnose it. I would need the make and model number of the unit in the basement. Please reply if you have further questions. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very much appreciated! Thank you,Brian
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician