HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Thanks my question! I would like some

Customer Question
Hello, Thanks for taking my...
Hello, Thanks for taking my question! I would like some advice on how to solve an HVAC problem. I live in a two story home in Georgia with a single system with two zones - Upstairs and downstairs. Our office is a large upstairs room with one vent in it.
In the summers, this room is substantially hotter than the rest of the upstairs rooms and vice versa in the winter. This makes the room very unpleasant to work in during the day. Since we have owned the house, we attributed the problem to poor airflow - i.e.
the room is too large for a single vent to manage. However, I recently realized that the room’s temperature problem is directly related to our two car garage which is directly underneath the office. The garage is not well insulated - it gets very hot in the
summer and very cold in the winter. So, it makes sense to me that the room on top of it exhibits similar behavior. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7JmPoKHf66OVE8zaUFWSWREaDQ/view?usp=sharing Therefore, I brainstormed the following options and would like
your thoughts: 1. Focus on managing the garage temp - insulating and sealing the doors and/or other tactics. 2. Increase the conditioned air into the office by increasing the duct size carrying air to the room and branch it into two registers. I am more partial
to option 1 as it seems to address the root cause, however I’m not sure how I would actually complete it. Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/15/2015
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
This is more a both/and than an either/or situation. Since it's just the office floor/garage ceiling (insulation) that has any impact on the room temp I doubt just insulating will solve this problem. It may help but I suspect you'll have to use both options. If the garage ceiling isn't well insulated then that should be done but improving the airflow/ductwork may involve cutting out a section of the garage ceiling so doing that first would be advisable then insulate.
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor