Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Trane hvac system isn't cooling like it should. Well, actually

Customer Question

My Trane hvac system isn't cooling like it should. Well, actually it seems fine on most days, but on others (like today), it runs continually, yet the indoor temp slowly rises - primarily in the afternoon. (Thermostat is set for 78 degrees. The current indoor temp is 81 degrees and the outside temp. is roughly 95 degrees - in Florida.) The odd thing is that I had a service tech come out and he reported no apparent problems with freon or anything else. (Of course, the day he came was one of the days when the unit seemed to be cooling well.) The system is only 5 years old and it had worked perfectly in the past. What could be the issue?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your system. There are many possible things that can cause this. One is a system undersized for your home. You said you had a tech out, but there are many technicians that are not properly trained on reading pressures and so forth. The system could be down on refrigerant and even the smallest amount can make a difference in how effectively the unit cools. You may want to get a 2nd opinion. Other factors are a dirty furnace filter, a condensing unit that is dirty and not rejecting heat, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, as mentioned, the system has worked fine in the past, so I'm sure it's not undersized. Regarding other possible factors, they have all been verified. Regarding the tech's qualifications, I doubt that he would be unable to properly read my freon pressures (comes from a reputable company). Anyway, I am assuming you have no other suggestions???
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
If a system is undersized, it can work fine on moderate days. But it's on extremely hot and humid days that the problems would show up. Was a heat loss calculation done when this system was originally installed? This can either be done with a Manual J or there is software that sizes a system. The other thing to keep in mind is that on extremely hot, humid days, it may be that a system would run almost continuously. Although we don't get the heat you do down in Florida, I have had days in Minnesota here where the humidity was extremely high, that my system hardly ever shut off. As far as the techs' qualifications, I have found many techs out there in the field that are not fully trained. It's good you have confidence in your HVAC company, however. If the system worked well on extremely hot, humid days and that has changed, then the factors I mentioned above would be some of the things that could have changed: dirty furnace filter, blower issues (blower running slow or in some cases, not at all), low on charge, dirty condenser coils, etc.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you had additional questions or need my help some more.