Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Replaced Copeland scroll after electrical wire shorted a hole

Customer Question

Replaced Copeland scroll after electrical wire shorted a hole in refrigerant line and original compressor shorted to ground. After installing new compressor, run cap, and contractor compressor draws high amperage and trips on internal overload. Any idea's?
Thanks.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Single phase compressor by the way but I'm sure you knew that from it having a run cap
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry you are having issues. What are the pressures (high and low side) when unit does run?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Factory charge is 8.2 lbs r22. I have it partially charged with 4.2 lbs. My pressures with the unit of are both at 130psi. When I start the unit the suction pressure drops only a few psi the discharge pressure doesn't move.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
That doesn't sound right. Is compressor immediately going out on O/L before even starting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Compressor makes a hissing sound until cuts out
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it does sound like it goes out on internal O/L. That should not happen if there is only a partial charge in there. Wonder if it's "stuck"? You may want to try a hard start kit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it runs for about 10 seconds. I've never seen this in over 20 years experience. I should also tell you this is the second replacement I thought the first one was defective
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
I'm wondering if the condenser is plugged or something. And when the compressor tries to start, it can't move refrigerant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what I was thinking too so I blew a tank of nitrogen through the high side and out the low and it went threw with no problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Plus I would think my discharge pressure would go through the roof
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
It sounds to me like something is totally blocking refrigerant flow. If it's not a plugged condenser, it could be the metering device. Dumb question, but you sure service valves are totally open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No service valves. I'm calling it a night. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
One other thing I thought of. I didn't really get the information of what we are working on here. Since you say there's no service valves, I assume this is a refrigeration unit? If its a 3 phase compressor, it's possible it could be single phasing. Just a thought.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you had additional questions on this. I like to follow up to make sure my customers are satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The unit is a Rheem 5 ton package roof top unit (single phase). I'll be going back next week and putting pressure taps in different areas to get more readings.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, just wanted to follow up.