HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

We have not used our heating/cooling in about two months since

Customer Question

We have not used our heating/cooling in about two months since we didnt need heat or air in the spring. Now we tried to turn on the air conditioning and nothing happens. We tested the heat and that doesn't work. We basically have been trying different things with the thermostat but nothing happens. No heat no air and no fan.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.
OK if you have nothing at the thermostat, you may have blown a fuse at the board or if you have a battery thermostat the batteries may be low. If you do not have a battery operated thermostat go to the furnace and remove the panels. Get at the control board inside of it and check the control board for a 3 amp slot style fuse. See if it is blown. If so replace it and try it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was something on the thermostat but I changed the batteries. Still isn't doing anything. No air kicks in even though it should. The thermostat is making a clicking noise. Just no air coming from the vent.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.
It sure sounds like you likely have a bad thermostat. I would still check the fuse on the board in the furnace just to make sure. If not you would need to connect some wires behind the thermostat if you are willing to do that to make sure the thermostat is bad. Just let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I can check the fuse on the board of the furnace but 8 honestly don't know where that is
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.
You would need to remove the panels to get inside the furnace. All of the wires in the furnace go to the control board, and it is typically behind a cover plate inside the unit. On the board itself you will likely find a slot style fuse or a bus fuse on or around the board. If that is blown that is the issue if not you may want to try a new thermostat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have found the board but how do I know if a fuse is blown? Do I have to buy a new one?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.
Do you see the slot fuse on it? If so slide it off the board and hold it up to the light to check the filament