HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Hooking up a 10458 condensor fan motor to older condensor.

Customer Question
Got a 7.5 cap. New...
Hooking up a 10458 condensor fan motor to older condensor. Got a 7.5 cap. New motor has 2 brown one yellow and one black. Old motor just has black, yellow and brown. How to hook up wires?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/7/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 3 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
do you have a new capacitor?
Are you using a cap with 3 sets of terminals on top...or 2 sets of terminals on top?
I have a new cap with 2 terminals on top 7.5 for new motor. Compressor will run off old cap
Old cap has 3 terminals
thank you...the 2 browns go to new cap..one on each side...no other wires to cap except the 2 browns.
Then the yellow and black go straight to contactor..one on each side.
Follow so far?
So the yellow goes to the ground side on the power and the black goes to the black " hot power side?
Is that what you are calling the contractor?
not ground..
at your contactor...there are 2 sides....2 hot legs come in one end...and then go out other end.
Are you familiar with the contactor?
No
ok...do you see where main power comes into the ac unit from the house?
Yes and sorry, have to think 220v yes the 2 hots come to the bottom from house
great...now those 2 hots end up connecting to relay/contactor...do you see that?
Yes then have terminals on top. That's where I connect the yellow and black?
correct...you should see black wires mainly one side...and red or yellow on the other.
So black to one side and yellow to other...can you try this now?
Can do. Thanks.
Gonna take me a few, didn't want to remove old motor until I had clear direction!!
I will stand by for result>
Billy
Works great!! Thank you!
Excellent...just rate service and I will move from active list.
Thank you!
Billy