Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Just had a Bryant two stage system installed in my home they

Customer Question

Just had a Bryant two stage system installed in my home they also installed a Bryant Housewise thermostat along with it. Thermostat keeps alarming with "High Humidity. Contractor has replaced the thermostat three times now and still has same problem and is about out of answers.
Any suggestions ??
Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jason Whatley replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out! I see your question is still open in the que after 21 hrs and I'm not sure if anyone has tried to help you. So sorry for the delay!! With the Bryant housewise thermostat, you can enable and disable any of the alarms. Not recommending this right away to disregard the issue, but just letting you know that it is an option. As for the high humidity alarm, there is a set point for the alarm to trigger. Could you tell me what the set point is set at and what the humidity is actually reading in the house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The setpoint for the humidity is 54% the actual humidity in house is at 58% checked by several different measure devices. The Bryant thermostat reads anywhere from 78% to 93% humidity all the time the contractor has changed the thermostat out four times now with the same results
Okay good thanks for the info. From what it sounds like is the thermostat (after 3 replacements) is not the issue here... So let's look at other factors that could be causing the issues. Has the hole in the wall where the thermostat wire comes into the thermostat been caulked to prevent any air from wall/attic/basement/crawl space cavities reaching the sensor and giving a false reading? Is the thermostat installed on an interior wall near a main return vent? How often does the system run (i.e. Short run times and short off times, or longer run times and longer off times) the longer an ac runs the more humidity will be removed from the air - if it is oversized, or stages aren't running correctly, as in always running 2nd stage and not 1st long enough, the house will cool to the set point, but not run long enough to dehumidify the air properly. How about a fresh air duct, that is bringing in outside air directly into the return ductwork? Newer homes have this as required by code, and if not operating properly this can cause elevated humidity levels in the house when the humidity level rises outdoors... Even though the thermostat says 70%+, once the humidity rises in a conditioned area, some humidity sensors will begin to go "out of range" on the higher end.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the hole in the wall has been chalked. Thermostat is on interior wall. Return air is located fairly close by Aprox. 8 feet away.
Like I had mentioned room humidity reads fine with other humidity gauges, just this thermostat. Actual room temp / humidity is fine A/C cycles fine fan runs continually as there is a air purifier installed too.
Very peculiar indeed. I have a call into Bryant support to see what they say. For now I will open the question back up to other experts to see if anyone else has any input. If I hear back from Bryant with any relevant news I will contact you again and let you know what the next step would be. Thanks for letting me try to help out!