Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Infinity control thermostat is giving me a "system malfunction"

Customer Question

infinity control thermostat is giving me a "system malfunction" then it tells me "81-Thermal lockout in low stage". I found the fan on the Model # ***** just humming and not turning, so i spun the fan with a screw driver and it started to run but i only heard a clicking noise when the compressor was trying to kick in?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Hello,So far it sounds like the compressor is off on its *internal over heat protector* and that it was caused by the condenser fan not coming on. The most common cause of the condenser fan behaving the way it is, is a bad run capacitor, or a condenser fan motor over 10 years old (bad bearings in the motor). Tell me how hot the compressor is when you put your hand on the top of it. and send me a photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the cover of the controls cabinet, and send me a picture of the entire controls enclosure taken from 4 feet away. We can go from there..