HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a nordyne iq-drive hvac split system, horizontal install

Customer Question
I have a nordyne iq-drive...
I have a nordyne iq-drive hvac
split system, horizontal install in attic w/ flow to left
4 ton, 23.5 seer, 95.1... variable speed, high efficiency
attic C6BH E48C C c6 indoor coil
attic FG7TC 100D-VC 2 stage g7 gas furnace w/ constant cfm option
outdoors FS4BI 048K iq ac condensing unit
there are no nordyne certified installers w/in 100 miles of me.
my iq-drive thermostat screen has turned red.
indicates "low pressure switch flt"
had a guy come by last night, he tried to add some r410, but gave up.
he thinks i need a new TXV.
Any nordyne experienced pros have any advice?
Kevin in Augusta, GA
and its getting hot in here....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/5/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello, The situation is that the Nordyne model you bought is at the rocket scientist end of the electronics control spectrum... a very high quality tech regardless of his Nordyne experience could sort that out for you... if it is merely suffering from a refrigerant leak and low on refrigerant or is having a TXV issue any one of the top 10% quality HVAC techs can help you with that.This is not something you can do your self. The system needs to be seen by a local well experienced and competent HVAC technician, if you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town I will look around for you. .
I'm in Augusta, GA 30909.
Hello again,http://www.comfortbyadvancedair.com/that is one of the most competent HVAC service companies in your area.Give them a call(###) ###-#### ***** what their charge is for a system diagnosis. Tell them that it is a 23 SEER Nordyne system and will likely require one of their most qualified technicians. ----------http://creightonlaircey.net/706(###) ###-####hat is another well rated older business in your area give them the same phone call, pick one, let me know if you have any problems. Tell me verbatim what the tech has to say, and ask him to write down his diagnosis and repair cost. If you have any doubts post that here, I can evaluate it for you. ----------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.
It is a long story, but the first company you mention, Advance Air, they installed the system years ago. But they don't sell Nutone/Nordyne anymore and they do not have any Nordyne trained installers. I don't know much about r410 but i know more about the installed system than they do. They say it is above their paygrade to work with the system, and it is obvious when they come out... they just want to check the fluid level and filters and ignore the pages of diagnostic information i try to show them on the thermostat screen.. I need a nordyne/nutone/westinghouse/tappan//,,, trained installer to come look this thing over. I'm not even sure one exists. I'm losing faith in HVAC installers and contractors. It is not a game of a bad apple spoils the batch, but the batch is mostly bad apples.
Hello again, Nordyne is a good company and makes systems for several other manufacturers but has a tendency to reach for the stars on efficiency on some of their models, and that creates such complex electronics and other features that only our heavenly father, or some say his counter part will touch them. None the less a truly competent tech will likely be able to sort it out for you.Try the other company, let me know what they say, if they turn you down ask if they know anyone in town who is likely to be able to help you... a city the size of Augusta will generally have an old timer or two who will tackle anything.Stay in touch, I will work with you on this without a time limit. Please hold your rating until we arrive at a suitable solution.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer