Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an old Rheem Central Air unit that has ceased to cool.

Customer Question

I have an old Rheem Central Air unit that has ceased to cool. It was last serviced 2-3 years ago. I've been told that this unit is very serviceable and could be kept alive for a long time. I am pretty handy. Is there anything I can do or check? I have all of the covers off.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Hello,You can use a garden hose to blast water between the fins on the outside condenser coil or use a foaming cleaner on it if it has not been cleaned for a while... that is necessary maintenance but might not be why the system has failed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtT6hSpV4sYou can buy the foaming cleaner at Home Depot or Lowes type stores. You will need to use a $30 type class 2 multi meter to check voltage with and follow my diagnosis instructions. If you can send me a clear, well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagrams glued inside the blower cover door on your furnace or air handler, and a photo of the printed circuit card that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and a photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of electrical controls box inside the unit that is outside, and a photo of the controls area taken from 4 feet away, I can help you by marking those up with trouble shooting instructions. .