HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

AC quit cooling. Mouse nest in outdoor a/c by Cap and switch.

Customer Question
AC quit cooling. Mouse...
AC quit cooling. Mouse nest in outdoor a/c by Cap and switch. Cleaned. Fan works, but doesn't blow cold air. Sometimes, inside thermostat flashes cool. When I took rat nest out, it would run for 10 sec, shut off and start. then run for 1 minute, stop and start. then it'd run for 5 minutes. etc. each time running a little longer before shutting down for a second. No cold air. Sometimes switch is (magnetically) engaged; sometimes not. compressor will buzz if i hold switch down.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/3/2015
HVAC Technician: hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
hvacexpertjoe
hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician
When you held the contractor in and the compressor started did the outdoor fan run? Both compressor and fan should kick on at the same time
If the fan on the outdoor unit did not run and the capacitor is not swelled or oozing black stuff, check the wires on the capacitor for rust. sometimes dirty connectors can cause this. If cap good and connections are good your fan bearings may be shot. If you can move the shaft of the fan motor at all then your fan motor bearings are bad.
A bad fan motor on outdoor unit will cause super high pressures internally and eventually the compressor won't be able to overcome these pressures and kick out on thermal overload