HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm trying to replace my thermostat. From my old thermostat…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm trying to replace...
Hi, I'm trying to replace my thermostat. From my old thermostat the wires were connected to G, W, O, RH. My new thermostat Honeywell focus pro 6000 (TH6110D1021)... it has G, W (o/b under it but same port), C, Y, R, RC. My problem is where do I connect the O wire in my new thermostat?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/3/2015
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! I'm sure I can help with that! You say: "From my old thermostat the wires were connected to G, W, O, RH". Were those the ONLY wires connected to your old thermostat? Was there a connection at Y on your old thermostat? Can you please tell me what type of system you have and are trying to hook up the Honeywell to? e.g. gas furnace, ground source heat pump, boiler with zone control, etc...? Thanks, -Brian
Yes there's a connection to Y but no wire was connected to it and we have gas furnace
So you have a gas furnace with NO cooling? This is a heat only application?
We have a central cooling system. A few months ago there was something wrong with our heat. It wasn't turning off. The fan kept going. We called an HVAC tech to come in. He said it was our thermostat (only 3 years old) so he replaced it with theirs it looked like an older version of our 3y/o thermostat. Anyway, ever since he changed it to their thermostat the cool option doesn't work. So, I bought a new thermostat which is the Honeywell brand.
The thermostat that came with the house is an Emerson digital led brand. The one he replaced it is not even led display.
Ok, thanks for that additional info! Since there is currently no connection at Y on your existing thermostat, that would explain why the cooling is not working. Can you tell me what color wire is(was) attached to the O terminal please? Do you by chance have the ability to take a digital picture of your old thermostat and the wiring attached to it, and upload them here using either the paperclip icon or the Attach Files button in your reply dialog box? Basically we have to figure out where and what color the wire that should be wired to the Y terminal is. Thanks, -Brian
Hi, I don't see any attached or paper clip button. Just reply to expert button.
Once you click the button to reply to me, in the window that opens (depending on which type window opens) there will either be 1) a toolbar for editing text and such with a paperclip icon as one of the buttons or 2) a button in the lower left of the the dialog box labeled "Attach Files". Click whichever one of those you see and then use the browse button to navigate to the file on your computer and select "open". This is similar to attaching a file in an email. Thanks, -Brian