HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Weill-Mclain boiler that heats my water and heats…

Customer Question
I have a Weill-Mclain boiler...
I have a Weill-Mclain boiler that heats my water and heats my radiant in floor heating system. I replaced the flue damper today when the old one died. I was able to get the boiler to fire and walked away. When I came back a few minutes later it was off again so I started it up again by calling for heat then watched it. I turned the aquastat down while it was fired up and suddenly the pipes shook and the overflow started dumping what I believe to be glycol. It was dark brown and smells like glycol. After draining about 4 gallons it has stopped and seems to be running ok. Do I need to do anything about replacing the fluid that drained out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/3/2015
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
What is the pressure on the gauge?
It was only at 5 so I pumped it up to 12 and it started working fine again. No more overflow either. I am still concerned about if I need to replace the glycol.
If you have anti-freeze in the system you need to have it checked before the fall. Brown glycol sounds like old glycol so it may have needed to be replaced anyway. In the mean time see how the system behaves. The relief valve discharging usually indicates a problem with the expansion tank.
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor