HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Living in a high-rise building (circa 2003 construction) with…

Customer Question
Living in a high-rise building...
Living in a high-rise building (circa 2003 construction) with a shared heating / cooling system with heated or chilled water that passes through each unit from a master boiler/chiller. Each apartment has a blower unit (Enviro-Tec VHC) with a thermostat (T.A.C. Erie T155 series). The thermostats are non-digital.
When turned on, the blower unit runs continuously. The unit draws from the heated or chilled water as needed to maintain the temperature but the fan runs continuously. Some apartments have replaced this non-digital thermostat with a digital thermostat which doesn't run the fan continuously.
I would like to replace the thermostat with a digital thermostat. I would like to know an exact brand and model number as well as step by step installation instructions.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 2 days by:
7/5/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 3 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
hello,
the thermostat you have can handle 24 - 277v
Do you know what voltage you have at your current thermostat? Then I can give you choices.
Use reply
I believe it is 24 volt. I am attaching pictures of the labels in the blower units - hopefully you can confirm with this. I am also attaching pictures of 2 of the thermostats.
Label 1.JPGLabel 1.JPGLabel 2.JPGLabel 2.JPGThemostat 1.JPGThemost...JPGThermostat 2.JPGThermos...JPG
Looking at the labels, I'm not sure if it's 24 volt or 208 volts. The units have a small electric heater built into them as well (so they can provide a small amount of heat even if the master boiler is turned off and there is no heated water).
Thank you!
The pics were great.
You can use quite a few...but I am attaching a link to a good thermostat that will be direct changeout.
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TB8575A1000-SuitePro-Coil-Thermostat/dp/B003U4OPRW
Billy
Will this run the fan only when needed or will the fan run continuously like with the old thermostat? That is one of the primary reasons I wanted to change. Also, do you have any suggestions for a less expensive thermostat? I need to change out 5 of them.I'm not sure if the building has 2 pipe or 4 pipe. There is a seasonal changeover. Do I need to make any adjustments for that?By direct changeout, do you mean that I can simply unplug the connectors for the old unit and plug this one in? Any other steps required or is this "plug and play"?
Will this run the fan only when needed or will the fan run continuously like with the old thermostat? ........YES..
That is one of the primary reasons I wanted to change. Also, do you have any suggestions for a less expensive thermostat? I need to change out 5 of them..............I am sorry but for this application that is going to be one of the more affordable programmable thermostats available.
I'm not sure if the building has 2 pipe or 4 pipe. There is a seasonal changeover. Do I need to make any adjustments for that? No....
By direct changeout, do you mean that I can simply unplug the connectors for the old unit and plug this one in? Any other steps required or is this "plug and play"? You will unhook wire labeled R and put on R in new unit..Y to Y, G to G etc..
Thanks for the response. It looks like the thermostat has "Heat" and "Cool" settings as well as "Off". The current thermostat only has "On" and "Off" settings; heating or cooling depends on if the pipes are heated or chilled. What setting would I need to put this thermostat on to work and would I need to change the heat / cool setting at all? Would the setting matter since heating or cooling is dependent on the temperature of the pipes from the master boiler / chiller?Also, there is a small electric heater in the fan coil unit. How would that function with this thermostat?Thanks for your help. I want to make sure I don't run into any surprises after buying 5 of the thermostats.
is this your thermostat at the below link?
http://iportal.schneider-electric.com/Contents/docs/F-27022-3.PDF
I believe so. It looks exactly like it.
so you do have heat/off/cool?
There are 3 controls: on/off switch, fan speed switch (low, medium, high) and the temperature control (dial). I sent you pictures of the thermostats yesterday which show the 3 controls. There is no switch for heat/cool.