HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I need to replace 40ton semi hermetic compressor that

Customer Question
Hi, I need to replace...
Hi, I need to replace 40ton semi hermetic compressor that just burned out and it's grounded, it has the proper refrigerant and oil charge and its crankcase heater is also working as well as god condenser water flow, didn't have high head pressure issue,
new HH driers were replaced last year and it also has voltage protector, any idea why it's grounded? thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/2/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello, Burnouts create a **potent acid** that attacks the motor windings and causes them to short to ground. When replacing a burn out, great care must be taken to flush the system and get *all of the acid out. Just changing driers, HH or otherwise will very often not be sufficient. Next step is buy an acid test kit from the wholesale house and check the oil in the compressor for acid.... also tell me what color the oil is. We can go from there in the morning, I am off to bed now. .
fair enough, I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. thank you.
.